BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 19, 2009

I can read you like a book.

I love to read. I don't make as much time for it as I should though.

I enjoy horror, historical fiction, gothic/paranormal romance, and poetry (I own the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe).

But my absolute favorites are biographies/autobiographies. People fascinate me.

Here are some autobiographies that I've read:

Gypsy by Gypsy Rose Lee
My Autobiography by Charles Chaplin
Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen
The Long, Hard Road Out Of Hell by Marilyn Manson
Tommyland by Tommy Lee
Save Me From Myself by Brian "Head" Welch (formerly of Korn)

I have yet to read the autobiographies of Nikki Sixx, Dave Navarro and Anthony Kiedis. Fieldy (bass player from Korn) has one hitting the shelves in a couple of weeks. I'll be picking that up.

I've also read biographies on Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, John Lennon, Led Zeppelin, U2, Korn, and a lot of other bands.

There's a couple of books on Alexander The Great (my fascination with whom I totally blame on a certain friend of mine *coughjaredcough*) that I'm looking to get. I may just have to order them online.

So tell me, dear readers, what kind of books do you like?

9 comments:

~Sheila~ said...

Fiction. I only really like fiction.

I have to read my medical books but that's not for pleasure.

Capricorn said...

I like the artsy and creepy shit that everyone else seems to loathe.

Mike said...

The Stand was my favorite book. 99% of the world dies in the first 100 pages, what more do I need to say about that. Also I liked the Davinci Code, because I liked its creativity and the way it made Catholics squirm!

f said...

Mostly Urban Fantasy (as opposed to Paranormal Romance), some horror, old poetry, and history. Stephenson, Gaiman, De Lint, Bradbury, Brite and Eco top my re-read list. I'd say go for the Robin Lane Fox Alexander books first -- he had a great take on him, and he consulted on the movie if that matters....

Cherlyn said...

f- the Robin Lane Fox books are the ones I'm actually looking for.

Mary Renault, who wrote 3 really good fictional novels about Alexander (Fire from Heaven, The Persian Boy, and Funeral Games) also wrote a non-fictional account of ALexander's life called The Nature of Alexander, which I'm also looking for.

f said...

Oooh, I didn't know about the non-fic Renault! I love her take on Alexander, but it makes the movie hard to watch because I'm always rooting for Bagoas (lol)...

Cherlyn said...

f- Well the movie is what prompted me to read Renault's fiction. But I can definitely see how the books would make you root for Bagoas. I'm a Hephaistion girl myself. =]

Anonymous said...

I like mystery action suspense books... or classics like Jayne Eyre... To Kill a Mockingbird. Good stuff.

Mike said...

I responded to your DOOL revelation on my site LMAO!