BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Writer's Workshop Wednesday

Courtesy of Mama Kat.


The one thing I got from my father that I've always appreciated was a decent set of vocal chords. I was singing in our church children's choir at a pretty young age and I started getting involved in school music programs in 4th grade.

Fast forward 6 years.

The summer before I was to start my Sophomore year in High School, my step-dad's job as a recruiter for the U.S. Navy took us to live in Louisville, Kentucky. Soon after we moved there we discovered that Louisville was home to a preforming arts high school. They would accept students in any grade and they had a voice program. But you had to audition, and the auditions were coming up in a month's time.

I wanted so badly to attend this school. Luckily my parents were 100% supportive and decided to let me audition for the voice program. That meant I had a month to practice.

The songs I chose were "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha and "Tomorrow" from Annie. I knew I'd be accompanied by piano by the instructor at the audition, but all I had to practice with at home was my step-dad playing guitar for me.

When the day of the audition came around, I was a bundle of nerves. This was the most important thing I'd done in my life at that point. I put on my prettiest dress and made sure I looked perfect. My mom drove me to the school for my audition.

When they called my name I thought my heart was going to jump right out of my chest. I walked into the room and was greeted my the instructor, a man in his 50s who's name I can't remember. Let's call him Mr. Smith. No hello. No smile. No nothing.

Mr. Smith: What's your name?

Me: Cherlyn Gray, sir.

Mr. Smith: How old are you?

Me: I'm 15.

Mr. Smith: So you'll be joining us as a Sophomore if you pass this audition?

Me: Yes sir.

Mr. Smith: Would you hand me your sheet music please?

So I handed Mr. Smith my sheet music and he took a seat at the piano. He started with "The Impossible Dream."

I forgot the words.

Completely forgot the damn words.

He glared at me, sighed, and suggested we move on to the next piece.

I knew this song. I'd known "Tomorrow" since I was 10. But my nerves were shot after flubbing the last song.

I was so off pitch even I cringed. I'd never sung that badly in my life.

When I finished raping the song, Mr. Smith asked me to sing the scales as he played them. I was still singing off-key. I just could not find the notes. I couldn't understand what was wrong with me. I'd always had (and still do have) a perfect sense of pitch. I felt the heat creeping up into my face.

Mr. Smith frowned, sighed, and dismissed me.

I ran outside and cried.

7 comments:

Krazy Armstrong K's! said...

Aawwww that just makes me so sad for the 15 year old you! hugs!

Capricorn said...

we all suck sometimes. ive been known to suck at times...and at least a few hundred people didnt boo you, or yell 'you suck' at you.

Cherlyn said...

Yes well, you do have a point.

~Sheila~ said...

Aww...man! If I had known you at 15 I totally would have loaned you my magic shower!

tiarastantrums said...

oh I hope you auditioned again!!!

f said...

Ouch. Been there, it sucks.

Why is it that those kinds of memories are the ones that really stick? Funny thing is, I'd bet you've had tons more of those semi-transcendental moments where your mouth opens, your soul comes out of it, and you *become* the song than of moments such as the one you described. Remember those ones, too!

BB,
f

KatBouska said...

I can only imagine how awful that would feel. My face turns bright red when I'm embarassed...I'm sure I would have been devestated.

...did you get cut??