BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Writer's Workshop

From Kathy's Blog:




This week I chose to write about something I did to get noticed. I have to admit, I enjoy getting noticed. Sometimes it upsets me when I'm not. The poem in my last blog is an example of that. But at the same time, I don't really consider myself an attention whore. There are things I could tell anyone who'd listen that would definately get me attention, but I choose not to, for many reasons.

But I digress.

Let's go back to the year 1990. It was the last semester of my Senior year in high school. Every spring we put on a musical, the cast mostly consisting of those of us in chorus. The lead roles nearly always went to Seniors.

The year before, my Junior year, we did South Pacific. My then-boyfriend/now-ex-husband Michael, who was a Senior, had the male lead. I played a nurse, a Polynesian girl, and was the understudy for the female lead. I completely learned her part because when we weren't rehearsing I was helping Michael run his lines. I never got to play that part though, because I was merely the understudy.

Now, when my Senior year rolled around and the time came to decide on the play, Wizard Of Oz was chosen. Not to brag or anything (ok, I'm bragging), but everybody pretty much knew I was going to get cast as Dorothy.

There was this other Senior girl, Gena, who decided to go up for the part. She was also in chorus. Even though she did have an amazing voice, she was only in the class for an easy A. Everybody knew it, including the teacher. Anytime a soprano solo came about, it always went to me instead of her. The teacher said that was because Gena didn't have the same passion for it as I did. Gena was obviously jealous.

Gena came up tome the day before auditions and said "Just a warning: I'm trying out for Dorothy. Don't get your hopes up." She was doing it just to spite me. But I'll admit I was a little nervous about it. Despite her bad attitude, the girl could sing. But I had every intention of showing her up.

For whatever reason, when they held the auditions, everybody tried out in front of everybody else. Gena went up before me. Her acting was ok. She sang really well. I thought she had a good shot. But I wasn't going to let that happen.

When my turn came, my acting was a bit better than her's had been (I was also in drama. She wasn't). Then I had to sing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." I absolutely crushed it. I sang my heart out.

The only time I sang it better, was 2 months later on opening night.

During the curtain call at the end of the first preformance, Michael, who was my finace by then, came up on stage and gave me a bouquet of roses. Everyone's eyes were on me.

I felt amazing. Invincible. Beautiful.

6 comments:

scargosun said...

YOU ROCK! Did Gena end up being a munchkin or something b/c that would have been icing on the munchkin cake.

Cherlyn said...

Hahah no. The teacher suggested she try out for the Wicked Witch Of The West (LOL!), but apparently if she couldn't best me, she didn't want any part of it. She also dropped chorus. I so fucking won. =]

Weeksie50 said...

Whoo Hoo. Congats for an awesome performance and for showing that girl.. who belonged on the stage..

The song on your page is cracking me up.. all of a sudden my speakers started yelling at me.. Make Out With Her Friends Make Out With Her Friends..

Mom2FiveBratz said...

lol at Scargosun ' did Gena get to be a munchkin', she totally has me picturing this chick singing, follow the yellow brick road.

Ive never been one to 'put myself out there', it would just be too embaressing..however, I put my kids in beauty pageants from the time they were infants,..maybe that was my show off time? No idea.

KatBouska said...

What an awesome memory!! I would have loved to have seen the look on Gena's face when she found out she lost to you. :) Classic.

Capricorn said...

so...Dorothy....