BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

When you think about it, any man can be a father. All he really needs is a high enough sperm count and a woman willing to let him impregnate her... or at least have sex with her.

I have a father. He and my mother divorced when I was 7. I may have spoken to him twice since I was 15, the last time being 5 years ago.

A DAD, on the other hand, is a different thing entirely. A dad is someone who gives you guidance and advice. Someone who is always there for you. Someone who threatens to do bodily harm to anyone who hurts you.

I had a dad. His name was Larry.

Larry and my mother got married when I was 10 years old. He was a very special person. He was kind, patient and caring. He never judged me for anything I did, and loved me even when I fucked up. But the most important thing he ever did was make my mom happy and love her unconditionally.

A little over 6 years ago, after being in our lives for nearly 21 years, Larry passed away. My mother and I haven't been quite the same since.

Happy Father's Day, Larry. I love you.

3 comments:

Manders said...

That was extraordinarily sweet, and nice, and alot of other things all rolled up into one very cool blog.

Thanks for sharing that, and what being a father really means to us lucky one's that get to experience it.

scargosun said...

It's a tough day when Dad's not here to share it with you, isn't it?

ShelbyAnne said...

Aww love. That was sweet. Hug.