BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Today is a full moon. (Esbat)

An esbat is a ritual observance of the full moon within Wicca and other Wiccan-influenced forms of Neopaganism. Some groups extend these celebrations to include the dark moon, or even the first and last quarters. Traditionally, the Sabbats are times of celebration, while magical work is done at the esbats.

In "The Witches' Goddess", Janet and Stewart Farrar note that the Babylonians considered the new moon to be the time when the Goddess was menstruating, and it was bad luck to do work on that day. In Jewish culture, this is the first day of the month, called Rosh Chodesh, and is still observed by some as a holiday for women.

The term esbat is probably a recent adoption, dating to the writings of Margaret Murray. It is derived from French esbat (modern ébat), meaning roughly "frolic, romp", with some sexual connotations. This term was used during the European witch trials to describe the supposed behaviour of witches engaging in Devil worship, and it has been claimed that Murray was misled by the word's coincidental resemblance to the word sabbat.

Blessed Be.

1 comments:

ShelbyAnne said...

Alright then, I'm convinced. I'm not doing a speck of work today...I think I'll just sit around and blog.

Oh, and I wiki everything too. Especially at work, people will come into my office asking RANDOM questions, and I just wiki it.

My 'local' Wal-Mart is actually 25 minutes away, so I am officially on the look out other local grocery stores. Thanks for the tip.